Southeast Ireland | County Waterford
Ballinacourty Lighthouse is situated on the rocky eastern shore of Dungarvan Harbour, in County Waterford. It was established at the initiative of the merchants and ship owners to guide ships into Dungarvan Bay, and the first light flashed in 1858. The tower is 13m high (16 meters above the sea level) and is made of local limestone. The lighthouse was converted to electric in 1964, and present light source comprises a cluster of 4 x 35W halogen lamps with range of 10 nautical miles. The lighthouse is closed to the public and there is no direct route, as it is surrounded by a golf course. The only way to get there, is to walk through the rocky shore from the beach of Ballinacourty Point.