West Ireland | County Mayo
Ballyglass Lighthouse (also known as Broadhaven Lighthouse) is located on the north eastern tip of the Mullet Peninsula in County Mayo overlooking Broadhaven Bay. The 15 m tall tower was erected in 1848, but the light was first established on 1st June 1855. The light came from oil lamp with fixed third order dioptric (supplied by W. Wilkins of London), was visible for 20km and was showing white to seaward and the east side of the bay, and red to the west side. The first improvements came in in 1924 and the light source was changed to acetylene burner, and the fixed light was changed to occulting 2 seconds light, 2 seconds dark. On 1st December 1931 Ballyglass Lighthouse was converted to unwatched station and the tower was painted white, and in 1977 was converted to electric operation.