Cape Clear Island, County Cork Fanad Head Lighthouse, County Donegal Valentia Island, County Kerry Puffin, Great Skellig, County Kerry Birds Carrowmore, County Sligo Clogher Strand, County Kerry Benbulben , County Sligo Roscommon Castle, County Roscommon Dún Beag Fort, County Kerry Seals Howth Harbour Lighthouse, County Dublin Sheep Fields Puffins, Saltee Island, County Wexford Boat, Cape Clear Island, County Cork Baily Lighthouse, Howth Head, County Dublin Fields Great Skellig, County Kerry
Blarney Castle

Blarney Castle

Southwest Ireland | County Cork

Blarney Castle originally dates from before 1200, when a wooden structure was believed to have been built on the site, although no evidence remains of this. Around 1210 this was replaced by a stone fortification. It was destroyed in 1446, but subsequently rebuilt by Cormac Laidir MacCarthy, Lord of Muscry. The castle was besieged during the Irish Confederate Wars and was seized in 1646 by Parliamentarian forces under Lord Broghill. However after the Restoration the castle was restored to Donough MacCarty, who was made 1st Earl of Clancarty. During the “Williamite War” in Ireland in the 1690s, the then 4th Earl of Clancarty (also named Donough MacCarty) was captured and his lands (including Blarney Castle) were confiscated by the Williamites. The castle was sold and changed hands a number of times-Sir Richard Pyne, the Lord Chief Justice of Ireland, owned it briefly- before being purchased in the early 1700s by Sir James St. John Jefferyes, then Governor of Cork City. Members of the Jefferyes family would later build a mansion near the keep. This house was destroyed by fire however, and in 1874 a replacement baronial mansion—known as Blarney House—was built overlooking the nearby lake. In the mid 19th century the Jefferyes and Colthurst families were joined by marriage, and the Colthurst family still occupy the demesne. In May 2008, the present estate owner, Sir Charles St John Colthurst, Baronet, succeeded in a court action to eject a man who has lived on his land for 44 years. Blarney Castle Gardens occupies over 60 acres of sprawling parklands which include gardens, avenues, arboretums and waterways.

    • Monday to Saturday:
      • May: 9am to 6.30pm
      • Jun-Jul-Aug: 9am to 7pm
      • Sept: 9am to 6.30pm
      • Oct-Apr: 9am to 5.30pm/Sundown
    • Sundays:
      • Summer: 9am to 5.30pm
      • Winter: 9am to sundown
      • Last admission is 30minutes before closing
    • Adult: 12€
    • Child (8-14 years): 5€
    • Student/Seniors: 10€
    • Family (2 adults, 2 children): 30€
  • CAR PARK :
    • Yes

Photos from Blarney Castle