West Ireland | County Mayo
Burrishoole Friary - the ruins of the Dominican friary dedicated to St Mary, founded around 1470 by Richard de Burgo of Turlough, who took the habit under the Dominican Order for the last three years of his life. He built the abbey without pope's permission and the friary was excommunicated until 1486. After the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 16th century became private property, granted to Nicholas Weston and assigned to Theobald Viscount Costillogalen.
The church consists of a nave, chancel and south transept with well preserved windows and the tower which is more Cistercian than Dominican in style. The eastern wall of the cloister is preserved up to first floor level. All the other domestic buildings have fallen apart.
- OPENING HOURS AND TICKETS :
- Freely accessible
- CAR PARK :