Cape Clear Island, County Cork Fanad Head Lighthouse, County Donegal Valentia Island, County Kerry Puffin, Great Skellig, County Kerry Birds Carrowmore, County Sligo Clogher Strand, County Kerry Benbulben , County Sligo Roscommon Castle, County Roscommon Dún Beag Fort, County Kerry Seals Howth Harbour Lighthouse, County Dublin Sheep Fields Puffins, Saltee Island, County Wexford Boat, Cape Clear Island, County Cork Baily Lighthouse, Howth Head, County Dublin Fields Great Skellig, County Kerry
Cahir Castle

Cahir Castle

Midlands Ireland | County Tipperary

Cahir Castle (Irish: Caisleán na Cathrach) is a medieval stronghold, situated on small, rocky island, on the bend of the River Suir, in town or Cahir, County Tipperary. The earliest castle on this site was built by the Anglo-Norman, Philip of Worcester, in the 13th century (once, there was a stone fortress of powerful irish clan, O'Briens, who were banished when the Normans arrived). The fortress has been enlarged and modernized throughout the 15th and 16th centuries, when passed into the possession of the Butlers. The Butler Family sided with the Roman Catholic Irish in the Elizabethan wars, in consequence of which the castle was besieged and taken by the army of the Earl of Essex, in 1599 (one of the cannon balls from this battle is preserved in the wall of the northeast tower), and for a one year the castle was put under the charge of Sir Charles Blount. In 1650, the fortress was surrendered to Oliver Cromwell, without a shot even being fired. The Butlers regain the possession of the castle in 1652. In late18th century stronghold fell into decay. However some conservation work have been done in 1840's, the real restoration was launched after 1961, when the last Lord Cahir died and the castle reverted to the Irish state and named a National Monument. Now, Cahir Castle is managed by the Office of Public Works and it is one of the bigest and best preserved castles in Ireland.

The castle consists of three courtyards, an outer, middle and inner with the core buildings inside. The oldest complete structure and the main building is the three-storey tower house. Access to the inner court is protected by lifting iron gate with two machicolations above (machicolation is a type of porch supported on corbels, protruding from the face of the outer wall, with holes, through which stones, or other objects, could be dropped on attackers). Also within the inner courtyard there is restored Great Hall and two towers located in northern corners.

There is an audio-visual show which gives information about the Cahir Castle and its history.

    • Mid October - February:
      • Daily: 9.30am - 16.30pm
    • March - Mid June:
      • Daily: 09.30am - 17.30pm
    • Mid June - August:
      • Daily: 9am - 17.30pm
    • September - Mid October:
      • Daily: 9.30am - 17.30pm
    • Adult: 4€
    • Child/Student: 2€
    • Senior/Group: 3€
    • Family: 10€
    • Phone: +353 52 7441011
  • CAR PARK :
    • Yes

Photos from Cahir Castle