Cape Clear Island, County Cork Fanad Head Lighthouse, County Donegal Valentia Island, County Kerry Puffin, Great Skellig, County Kerry Birds Carrowmore, County Sligo Clogher Strand, County Kerry Benbulben , County Sligo Roscommon Castle, County Roscommon Dún Beag Fort, County Kerry Seals Howth Harbour Lighthouse, County Dublin Sheep Fields Puffins, Saltee Island, County Wexford Boat, Cape Clear Island, County Cork Baily Lighthouse, Howth Head, County Dublin Fields Great Skellig, County Kerry
Clontuskert Augustinian Priory

Clontuskert Augustinian Priory

West Ireland | County Galway

The ruins of Augustinian Priory of St Mary also known as Clontuskert Abbey is located 5 km south from Ballinasloe (just off road R355) in County Galway. It was founded in the 12th century by Turlough O'Connor (King of Connaught) on the site of an earlier monastery established in the 7th century by St Baeden but there are no surviving remains from that period. Clontuskert Abbey was burnt at the beginning of the 15th century and the standing ruins are mostly of the late 15th century reconstruction. After the dissolution of churches by King Henry VIII in 16th century, monastery was granted to the Burke family, and in 1637 regranted again to the monks, who appear to have remained in the priory until the end of the 17th century. The remaining ruins consist of a nave and chancel church with the remains of the cloister and domestic building. There are many skillfully made carvings spread on the walls of the monastery among which the most impressive is the west doorway depicting the weighing of souls by St Michael the Archangel and characters of St John the Baptist, St Catherine and the Bishop.

    • Freely accessible
  • CAR PARK :
    • Yes

Photos from Clontuskert Augustinian Priory