Creevykeel Court Tomb
Northwest Ireland | County Sligo
Creevykeel Court Tomb is the one of the finest court tombs in Ireland. Is located off N15 in village of Cliffony in north County Sligo (between the village of Grange and town of Bundoran). This type of megalithic structures began to appear shortly after 4000 BC. In its present form it is termed a full court tomb but there is evidence that it was once a simpler construction with open court. The cairn is a trapezoidal shape, about 50 m long and 25 m wide at the broader eastern end, where the entrance is situated. A 5m-long passage leads to the oval court bordered by orthostats, with dimensions of 15 m by 9m. In the center there is an Early Medieval stone structure (shallow pit, which was filled with grey sand). On the western end of the forecourt there is entry into a central double chamber (which is divided by two stones), measuring approx 9m by 3m, which was probably covered by a corbelled roof. There are also three smaller chambers on the western end of tomb, which have separate entrances from the sides of the cairn. Creevykeel was excavated by Harvard Archeological Expedition in 1935. Amongst the finds were cremated bone, shreds of Neolithic pottery, two polished stone axes, flint and limestone arrowheads. Excavations have also revealed an early medieval metal-smelting operation. Hearths, pits and stake holes were found on the site.
- OPENING HOURS AND TICKETS :
- Freely accessible
- CAR PARK :