Cape Clear Island, County Cork Fanad Head Lighthouse, County Donegal Valentia Island, County Kerry Puffin, Great Skellig, County Kerry Birds Carrowmore, County Sligo Clogher Strand, County Kerry Benbulben , County Sligo Roscommon Castle, County Roscommon Dún Beag Fort, County Kerry Seals Howth Harbour Lighthouse, County Dublin Sheep Fields Puffins, Saltee Island, County Wexford Boat, Cape Clear Island, County Cork Baily Lighthouse, Howth Head, County Dublin Fields Great Skellig, County Kerry
Fort Dunree

Fort Dunree

Northwest Ireland | County Donegal

Fort Dunree (Irish: An Dún Fhraoigh, what means "Fort of the Heather") is located on rocky promontory on the shores of Lough Swilly, on the west side of the Inishowen peninsula about 12 km north from town of Buncrana in County Donegal. It was erected by British Royal Navy in 1798 to guard against the possible invasion of a French fleet. In 1895 the fort was modernised and enlarged, the top fort was built on the hill and was walled in to form a redoubt. Two 4.7 inch (119 mm) QF guns were placed in lower fort, and later twelve pounder QF and two 6 inch (152 mm) guns in the top part of the fort. During World War I the Lough Swilly was used as a marshalling area for Atlantic convoys, and as an anchorage for the Royal Navy's Grand Fleet. As a very important military base and defensive site, Fort Dunree remained in British hands, even after the announcement of Irish Free State on 6 December 1922 (sovereignty over the Fort Dunree and two other forts was included in Anglo Irish Treaty signed in December 1921). In 1938, the fort was handed over to Ireland. During the World War II fort was base for Irish forces, to prevent the warring factions violating the country's neutrality. Fort Dunree was open to the public in 1986 and since then has become one of the biggest tourist attractions of the Inishowen peninsula. The museum placed in the fort buildings contains wide range of exhibitions with many military artefacts that give insight into the times, when the fort was in operation. In the audiovisual center you can watch the video presentation showing full history of the Dunree Fort. One of the old military buildings became home of "Rockhill Collection" - extensive private collection of military memorabilia belonging to Jackie Keenan and Jim Gallagher. The collection contains examples of military equipment, uniforms and rank insignia of other nations who have served alongside Irish soldiers on UN, EU, ECMM and NATO. There is also the “Wildlife Discovery Room”, where you can find out about rich wildlife of the surrounding area. Marked hillside walks enable the visitor to get breathtaking views of the Lough Swilly and Fanad Head. With no doubt, the big attraction are the naval guns, which are still on their place, perfectly manifesting the military significance of Fort Dunree.

    • Monday to Friday: 10am - 4.30pm
    • Weekends: booking only (ph: +353 74 9361817)
    • Adult: 7€
    • Children (under 7 years): Free;
    • Family: 15€
  • CAR PARK :
    • Yes

Photos from Fort Dunree