East Ireland | County Wicklow
Glendalough – (vally of two lakes) one of the most important Early Christian monastic sites in Ireland. The monastery was founded by St. Kevin in the 6th century and flourished throughout the next centuries. It was known in Europe at that time, as a center of learning(knowledge). Monastic settlement survived several Viking raids in 9th and 10th century and was destroyed by English forces in 1398. Since then it continued as a church of local importance and a place of pilgrimage. The current remains of the monastery, are only a small part of its early splendor. In its heyday, the monastery had a scriptorium(areas for manuscript writing and copying), hospital, dormitories (both for monks and pilgrims), guest houses, workshops and farm buildings. The buildings which survived probably date from between the 10th and 12th centuries. Monastic complex contains The Gateway, The Round Tower, The Cathedral, The Priests' House, St. Kevin's Church ("Kitchen"), St. Ciarán's (Kieran's) Church, St. Mary's or Our Lady's Church, Trinity Church and St. Saviour's Church.