Southeast Ireland | County Kilkenny
Kells Mill (also known as Mullins Mill), located on the King’s River in the south County Kilkenny, was probably established between the 12th and 13th centuries to supply the castle and priory with flour. Buildings that have survived to this day date from 1782, when a French family, the Mullins, have taken ownership of the mill. The main mill was used to produce flour, and a flax mill was established in the building beside it. It is one of the 16 mills once operated on a very short stretch of the King's River, on no more than 16 miles. Mullins Mill was in use until 1966, a year after the death of the last miller of the Mullins family. It concluded a family tradition of 200 years milling in Kells. In 1997 Kells Mill was restored and opened for tourists, and the visitor center also serves as a venue for the local community.