West Ireland | County Clare
Knappogue Castle is a medieval tower house located near Quin, in County Clare. It was built in 1467 by Seán MacNamara and stayed in MacNamara's hands untill 1800 when was sold to Scott family. The new owners have begun extensive modernisation, completed in 1855 by another owner Theobold Fitzwalter Butler, 14th Baron Dunboyne. In that time, the Gothic-revival style, two-bay single-storey gate lodge was added to the castle. During the times of founding of the Irish Free State, Knappogue Castle was used as a secret meeting place of the Clare County Council. In 1966, the castle and its lands were purchased by Mark Edwin Andrews, former Assistant Secretary of the United States Navy. In 1969, together with Shannon Free Airport Development Company (today Shannon Heritage) and Bord Failte Eireann (Failte Ireland) they carried out an extensive restoration. The Andrews later leased part of the castle to the Irish Government as a cultural and tourist facility. In 1996, the Knappogue Castle was purchased by Shannon Development and since then is used as a venue for weddings and medieval banquets and guided tours are arranged daily during the tourist season. Beside of the castle there is restored Victorian walled garden.
- CONTACT :
- Address: Quin Rd, Knopoge, Ennis, Co. Clare
- Phone: +353 61 368 103
- CAR PARK :