Southwest Ireland | County Kerry
Muckross Friary is located in Killarney National Park just about 1.5km from Muckross House and Gardens (about 4,5 km south of Killarney, just off the road N71). It was founded by Donal MacCarthy Mór in 1448 for Observantine Franciscans. After the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the 1540s friary was officialy suspended but friars stayed there until they were attacked in 1589 by English soliders. In 1612, Franciscans returned and began restoration of friary. Around 1630 they were forced to leave again, but they came back shortly, to be finally driven out by Cromwellian soliders in 1652. In 1864, Franciscans built new friary in Killarney town, using some stone from the ruins of Muckross Friary. In 1930s OPW carried out extensive restoration. The ruins are well preserved but largely roofless. The fine square tower divides chancel Church from nave, which has adjoining transept to the south. There is also vaulted cloister on the northern side of the nave, which contains a large, old yew tree in the center.
- OPENING HOURS AND TICKETS :
- Freely accessible
- CAR PARK :