Cape Clear Island, County Cork Fanad Head Lighthouse, County Donegal Valentia Island, County Kerry Puffin, Great Skellig, County Kerry Birds Carrowmore, County Sligo Clogher Strand, County Kerry Benbulben , County Sligo Roscommon Castle, County Roscommon Dún Beag Fort, County Kerry Seals Howth Harbour Lighthouse, County Dublin Sheep Fields Puffins, Saltee Island, County Wexford Boat, Cape Clear Island, County Cork Baily Lighthouse, Howth Head, County Dublin Fields Great Skellig, County Kerry
Quin Friary

Quin Friary

West Ireland | County Clare

The well preserved friary in Quin, County Clare, was founded around 1402 by MacNamara clan for franciscan friars, and became an Observant Reformed house in 1433. It was established on the ruins of four-towered Norman castle built here by Thomas de Clare around 1280, and destroyed by native Irish clans after winnig battle of Dysert O'Dea in 1318. The remains of the castle are still visible on the site. In 1541, during the dissolution of the churches Quin Friary was granted to O'Briens family. Then friary passed through many hands and monks were leaving and comming back here until 1760, when they were expelled for good by Colonels William and Henry Stamer. The only one friar who stayed there until his death in 1820 was John Hogan, whos grave can be found in east cloister walkway. Although mostly roofless, the Quin Friary is relatively well preserved and consists of church with nave and chancel, tower, cloister and domestic buildings. There are also many examlples of Gothic windows of various forms.

    • Good Friday - 31st October : 9am-6pm
    • Admission: Free
  • CAR PARK :
    • Town car park

Photos from Quin Friary