Midlands Ireland | County Roscommon
Roscommon Castle is quite large ruin of Anglo-Norman castle located on a hillside, just outside the Roscommon town, in county Roscommon. The castle was erected on the orders of the Henry III king of England and work to begin in 1269. Due to constant attacks of Aedh O'Conor (son of FeiIim O'Conor, the Irish king of Connacht) building works were slowed down. The construction speeds up after his death in 1274 and most of the castle was erected up to the late 1270s. Roscommon Castle becomes centre of Anglo-Norman power in this part of Ireland until the mid 14th century. Then passed into the hands of the O'Conor Don family and they held the castle for the next two hundred years, until the 1569 was surrended to the Dublin government. In 1577 the castle and 17,000 acres was granted to an English solider and administrator, Sir Nicholas Malby. He built Renaissance-influenced fortified house to the northern part making the Roscommon Castle one of the largest New English estates in lreland at this time. In 1652 castle is surrended to the Cromwell’s soliders, and since last decade of 17th century began to fall into ruin.
- OPENING HOURS AND TICKETS :
- Freely accessible
- CAR PARK :