Cape Clear Island, County Cork Fanad Head Lighthouse, County Donegal Valentia Island, County Kerry Maghery Beach, Dungloe, County Donegal Puffin, Great Skellig, County Kerry Birds Carrowmore, County Sligo Clogher Strand, County Kerry Benbulben , County Sligo Roscommon Castle, County Roscommon Dún Beag Fort, County Kerry Seals Howth Harbour Lighthouse, County Dublin Sheep Fields Boat, Cape Clear Island, County Cork Baily Lighthouse, Howth Head, County Dublin Fields Great Skellig, County Kerry
St Tola's Church

St Tola's Church

West Ireland | County Clare

St Tola's Church, also known as Dysert O'Dea Abbey is located about 4 km south of Corofin town in County Clare, near Dysert O'Dea Castle. The ruins which have survived to this day, date from 12th century and was altered few times throughout its existence, but first monastic settlement was founded here in 8th century by St Tola. The most notable feature of the church is beautifully sculptured romanesque doorway in the southern wall, depicting twelve human heads and seven heads of animals. Beside the north-western corner of the church, there is the round tower dating from 11th century, wich was converted into fortification in 16th century, and badly damaged during the bombing by Cromwellian forces in 1651. To the east of the church, is situated one of the finest high crosses in Ireland. It was erected in 12th century, it is 3.27m tall and made of limestone. The head of east side of the cross depicting figure of the Christ, and the shaft, figure of the bishop (probably St Tola). The eastern part of the base has irish style interlacing with the inscription: "This cross was newly repaired by Michael O'Dea son of Connor Crone O'Dea in the year 1683". The western side is decorated with cross shaped patterns, and biblical scene of Adam and Eve carved on its base. The base of the southside features Daniel in the Lions Den and also has inscription below: "Reerected by Francis Hutchinson Synge of Dysart fourth son of the late Sir Edward Synge Bart and Mary Helena his wife in the year 1871".

  • OPENING HOURS AND TICKETS :
    • Freely accessible
  • CAR PARK :
    • Roadside

Photos from St Tola's Church