Southeast Ireland | County Wexford
Tacumshane Windmill is located in small village of Tacumshane, 15 km south of Wexford town in County Wexford. The windmill was built in 1846 by Nicolas Moran who gained the necessary knowledge in Rotterdam where he was an apprentice millwright. It is interesting that it has a thatched rotary roof facilitating to catch the wind for its sails. The windmill have been in use until at 1908, and than began to fell into disrepair. Was re-launched by Garry Murphy in 1930 and has continued operating until 1936. The damaged wooden parts were replaced with iron machinery from the windmill at Ballyfane (destroyed during a great storm in 1905). Since 1936 the pair of millstones were driven by a diesel engine and the mill was still operating until 1961. In 1952 was designated as national monument and major repairs were carried out. Tacumshane Windmill is open to the public for free, and the key can be obtained from the Meyler's Millhouse Bar which is next to the mill.
- OPENING HOURS AND TICKETS :
- Freely accessible
- CAR PARK :