Cape Clear Island, County Cork Fanad Head Lighthouse, County Donegal Valentia Island, County Kerry Maghery Beach, Dungloe, County Donegal Puffin, Great Skellig, County Kerry Birds Carrowmore, County Sligo Clogher Strand, County Kerry Benbulben , County Sligo Roscommon Castle, County Roscommon Dún Beag Fort, County Kerry Seals Howth Harbour Lighthouse, County Dublin Sheep Fields Boat, Cape Clear Island, County Cork Baily Lighthouse, Howth Head, County Dublin Fields Great Skellig, County Kerry
Trim Castle

Trim Castle

East Ireland | County Meath

The castle situated on the banks of River Boyne in town of Trim, County Meath, is largest Anglo-Norman fortification in Ireland. The first defensive structure was built here in 1172, by Hugh de Lacy, to whom the lands of Meath were granted after Norman invasion of Ireland. It was a motte, with timber tower defended by double palisade and external ditch. Hugh de Lacy left his fortress, entrusting it to Hugh Tyrell. He was attacked and by forces of the Gaelic High King of Ireland, Ruaidrí Ua Conchobair (anglicised as Rory O'Conor) and had to flee. Wooden fortification and tower were burnt. Ua Conchobair withdrew when De Lacy returned. The seal of the truce was marriage of O'Conor's daughter with Hugh de Lacy. In 1176, he started to build the stone castle on the site of destroyed wooden fortress. It was completed c. 1224, by his son, Walter de Lacy and became stronghold of great grandeur and importance. The walled area surrounding the castle covers 3 acres (1.5ha). There are many defensive towers built into the wall, which is protected by the river itself as well as a water-filled moat. The access to stronghold is secured by two main gatehouses, the west gate, facing the town and known as Trim Gate and south gate known as Dublin Gate, which is a rare example of external barbican tower. The castle itself contains enormous chambers suitable for public gatherings (7 parliments were held here), courts and feasts, with chapel and residential spaces arranged in the castle's towers. Within the walls there were also houses, stables and Great Hall. It seems the castle has creased to be a residence after the middle of 14th century. During the 15th century the Irish Parliament met in Trim Castle seven times and a mint operated in the castle. In the 16th century Trim Castle fell into decline but was refortified during the Irish Confederate Wars in the 1640s. In 1649 was taken over by Oliver Cromwell's troops. In 1993 the last private owners of the castle, the Dunsany Plunketts sold the land and buildings to the State. In 2000, after big renovation, conservation and exploratory works carried out by OPW (Office of Public Works), Trim Castle was opened to the public as tourist attraction. The surrounding area is very picturesque and is populalar place for walks along river. The Trim Castle is also noted for its role in Mel Gibson's movie, "Braveheart".

  • OPENING HOURS :
    • 1st November – 31st January:
      • Sat & Sun: 9-16
    • 1st-10th February:
      • Sat & Sun: 9.30-16.30
    • 11th February - 16th March:
      • Daily: 9.30 - 16.30
    • 17th March - 30th September:
      • Daily: 10 - 17
    • October:
      • Daily: 9.30 - 16.30
    • Last tour 1 hour before closing.
  • ADMISSION FEES :
    • Adult: 5€
    • Child/Student: 3€
    • Senior/Group: 4€
    • Family: 13€
    • Castle grounds only:
      • Adult: 2€
      • Child/Student: 1€
      • Senior/Group: 1€
      • Family: 4€
  • CONTACT :
    • Phone: +353 46 943 8619
  • CAR PARK :
    • Town car park

Photos from Trim Castle