Tintern Abbey
Southeast Ireland | County Wexford
Tintern Abbey, Hook Head Peninsula, county Wexford - the ruins of the Cistercian abbey, founded about the year 1200 by the Anglo-Norman William Marshal, Earl of Pembroke and Lord of Leinster. During his first journey to Ireland his boat was caught in storm near Bannow Bay. He vowed to fund the abbey in this area, if he survives. The name "Tintern" was given by the Cistercians who came from Tintern Abbey in Wales (William Marshal was a patron of this abbey), to settle a new abbey. Tintern became the third wealthiest Cistercian abbey in Ireland (after Mellifont and St. Mary’s in Dublin), then after the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the 1540s became private property of The Colclough family who converted the abbey to a household castle. Probably in the 16th century Sir Anthony Colclough ordered to build the bridge and the battlement. Both, the bridge and the battlement (modified in the 18th century by Sir Vesey Colclough) preserved in good condition to present times.
- OPENING HOURS :
- 15th May - 24rd Sept :
- Daily: 10am to 5pm
- 15th May - 24rd Sept :
- ADMISSION FEES :
- Adult: 3€
- Child/Student: 1€
- Group/Seniors: 2€
- Family: 8€
- Yes