Midlands Ireland | County Cavan
Drumlane Abbey and Round Tower are situated on the shore of Derrybrick Lough, just outside of Milltown, in County Cavan. The first monastery was founded here in the Early Christian times. Although the abbey is closely affiliated with St. Mogue (also known as St. Aidan), it is most likely the site was established by St. Columba (St. Colmcille) in the middle of the 6th century. In Medieval times, around the 12th century, the church was taken over by the Augustinian Canons from Kells. The oldest building of Drumlane Abbey is a Round Tower with a round-headed doorway and windows, dating about the 12th century. The church probably dates from the 13th century but much of what survived until today is alterations from the 15th century. Some of the fine stonework from that period has been preserved to this day, including heads of abbots or bishops. The buttresses and probably the whole western section of the church are from the beginning of the 17th century, and the medieval west door was reused, most likely from the destroyed priory. In 1538, during the Dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry VIII, Drumlane Abbey was confiscated and later granted to Hugh O'Reilly under the lease. After his death, it was re-granted to the Anglican Diocese of Kilmore and served as a Protestant church until 1820. Then the church was unroofed and left to decay. Today Drumlane Abbey is a tourist attraction under the care of OPW.
- OPENING HOURS AND TICKETS :
- Freely accessible
- COORDINATES :
- CAR PARK :