Cape Clear Island, County Cork Fanad Head Lighthouse, County Donegal Valentia Island, County Kerry Maghery Beach, Dungloe, County Donegal Puffin, Great Skellig, County Kerry Birds Carrowmore, County Sligo Clogher Strand, County Kerry Benbulben , County Sligo Roscommon Castle, County Roscommon Dún Beag Fort, County Kerry Seals Howth Harbour Lighthouse, County Dublin Sheep Fields Boat, Cape Clear Island, County Cork Baily Lighthouse, Howth Head, County Dublin Fields Great Skellig, County Kerry

Lighthouses

Ballinacourty Lighthouse

Ballinacourty Lighthouse

Southeast Ireland | County Waterford

Ballinacourty Lighthouse is situated on the rocky eastern shore of Dungarvan Harbour, in County Waterford. It was established at the initiative of the merchants and ship owners to guide ships into Dungarvan Bay, and the first light flashed in 1858. The tower is 13m high (16 meters above the sea level) and is made of local limestone. The lighthouse was conver...   more info and photos

Valentia Lighthouse

Valentia Lighthouse

Southwest Ireland | County Kerry

The Valentia Lighthouse is located within Cromwell Fleetwood Fort from 17th century (decommissioned in 1669). It was established at the initiative of the Right Honorary Maurice Fitzgerald, Knight of Kerry, and designed by George Halpin Senior, one of the most famous civil engineers of the time. The first light flashed here on 1st of February 1841 and until t...   more info and photos

Poolbeg Lighthouse

Poolbeg Lighthouse

East Ireland | County Dublin

Poolbeg Lighthouse is situated at the end of Great South Wall (one of the longest sea-walls in Europe), which enters the Dublin Bay and keeps the inflowing sand away from the port. The lighthouse was established in 1768, and until 1786 operated on candlepower, then was changed to oil, and in 1820 was rebuilt into its present form and painted red. It 's on...   more info and photos

Loop Head Lighthouse

Loop Head Lighthouse

West Ireland | County Clare

Loop Head Lighthouse is situated on a pointed tip of the picturesque Loop Head peninsula, on the south west end of County Clare (its most westerly point). The first lighthouse was established here around 1670, it was stone cottage with lantern placed on the roof. The cottage was home for the keeper and his family and had an internal stone stairway leading...   more info and photos

Eagle Island Lighthouse

Eagle Island Lighthouse

West Ireland | County Mayo

Eagle Island Lighthouse is located on a small island approximately 1 km of the northwest part of the Mullet Peninsula, in County Mayo.This island is situated close to the edge of the Continental Shelf where the waves of the Atlantic can be extremely high, and the dramatic story of the lighthouse is strictly linked with them. On the night of 29th September 1...   more info and photos

Ballyglass Lighthouse

Ballyglass Lighthouse

West Ireland | County Mayo

Ballyglass Lighthouse (also known as Broadhaven Lighthouse) is located on the north eastern tip of the Mullet Peninsula in County Mayo overlooking Broadhaven Bay. The 15 m tall tower was erected in 1848, but the light was first established on 1st June 1855. The light came from oil lamp with fixed third order dioptric (supplied by W. Wilkins of London), was ...   more info and photos

Blacksod Lighthouse

Blacksod Lighthouse

West Ireland | County Mayo

Blacksod Lighthouse is situated on the south east corner of the Mullet Peninsula in county Mayo. This lighthouse as a building is quite unusual. It is two storey massive house (made in 1864/65 of local reddish grey granite), with the white, small square lighthouse tower centered on the top. The first light was established in 30th June 1866 (showing fixed...   more info and photos

The Baily Lighthouse

The Baily Lighthouse

East Ireland | County Dublin

The Baily Lighthouse is located on the southeastern part of Howth Head in Dublin Bay, County Dublin. The first lighthouse on this site dates from 1667. It was a cottage and square tower with a coal-fired beacon. The lighthouse we see today was built in 1814 and was equipped with fixed white catoptric light comprising 24 Argand oil lamps and reflectors. The ...   more info and photos

Fanad Lighthouse

Fanad Lighthouse

Northwest Ireland | County Donegal

Fanad Lighthouse is located near Portsalon on the end of Fanad Peninsula in County Donegal. It was built at the request of Captain Hill of the Royal Navy in Derry. His request was addressed to the Corporation for Preserving and Improving the Port of Dublin after the frigate Saldana was wrecked near the shore of Fanad Head in 1812. He claimed that lighthous...   more info and photos

Hook Lighthouse

Hook Lighthouse

Southeast Ireland | County Wexford

Lighthouse, located at the tip of the Hook Peninsula in County Wexford is one of the oldest working lighthouses in the world. It was built in the early 13th century by William Marshal, son in law of Richard de Clare (known as Strongbow), as part of the development of his lordship of Leinster. However, it wasn't the first navigation light on the Hook Head. In...   more info and photos